Wildpoldsried is a municipality in the district of Oberallgäu in Bavaria in Germany. The village has been recognized for its exceptional achievements in renewable energy production and in its carbon footprint.
The earliest known to Wildpoldsried dates to 1392, when it was mentioned in documents relating to the Cloud Mountain Castle. Later, it was the seat of the Lower and Upper Courts of the Abbey Kempten, at Benedictine Monastery. Secularization took place in 1803, and the municipality was formalized in 1818, in accordance with the laws of the Kingdom of Bavaria.
In 1997, people of Wildpoldsried, in some cases acting as individuals, began a series of projects that produce renewable energy. The first efforts were wind turbines and biomass digesters for cogeneration of heat and power. In the time since, new work has included a number of energy conservation projects, more wind and biomass use, small hydro plants, photovoltaic panels on private houses, and district heating. This is an ecological flood control and wastewater system. Today, the effects of this is a result of the growth of the city, including a school, gymnasium, and community hall, complete with solar panels. There are three companies operating a biogas digester with a fifth under construction. There are seven windmills with two more on the way. One hundred and ninety private households are equipped with solar, which pays them dividends. The district heating network has 42 connections. There are three small hydro power plants. By 2011, Wildpoldsried produced 321 percent more energy than it’s needed and generated 4.0 million Euro in annual revenue. At the same time, there was a footprint. Three years later, the energy was consumed.